Sunday, September 15, 2013

Getting to know Xander Demos!

At long last, here's the interview I was lucky enough to do with the very talented Xander Demos!
[Lost in the Server series 6/24/12]





 Xander, you've been said to have 'talent bleeding out of your
hands',   how do you handle a reputation like that? I mean it has to be
flattering, but does it add any pressure?

Well, that's a great compliment! Overall, I am a humble guy so while
it is flattering, I don't feel that much pressure from the technical
aspect. I mean, I grew up in the 80's 
 and every guitar player was
competing with the other. Also, my attitude never gravitates "being
the best" or anything based in technique. If anything, I would feel
more pressure to write cool songs above all -
 and
, to reach out to a
lot more audiences.



 When did you first playing, and how did you get into it?
I started playing in 1982 all thanks to MTV shoving all of these
awesome guitarists in front of me. There was a visual aspect that was
now different than just the sonic aspect of music. To me, guitar
playing now LOOKED cool instead of just sounding cool. Tom Scholz's
(Boston) guitar sound really wanted to make want to play in the
beginning though.


)Who are some of your favorite guitarists?
In the beginning: Tom Scholz, Neal Schon, Brad Gillis and Eddie Van
Halen. I later got into Yngwie
 and Steve Vai and all the Shrapnel guys
like Tony MacAlpine, Paul Gilbert, Vinnie Moore
 and Jason Becker. Thru
the 90s, I started to get into Shawn Lane, Allan Holdsworth, John
Petrucci, Eric Johnson
 and Brett Garsed. Nowadays, I am a huge fan of
Guthrie Govan
 and 
Michael Romeo.







 Your style is unique, how would you describe your sound? And why do
you think people are gravitating towards it?
Well, I consider myself a technical player but I am really into
melodic songwriting. I think that people may be into the fact that I
don't just shred for the sake of shredding
 and 
that I actually can
write a catchy melody. At least, I HOPE they'll gravitate towards my
style.



Your new single 'White Knuckle Driving' has recieved international
air play, how does it make you feel knowing your music's being heard
all over the world?
It feels absolutely incredible and it's overwhelming! It's something I
have always dreamed about
 and 
I have to pinch myself on occasion.






 Can you tell us a little bit about the 'Xander Demos' guitar?
Sure - there is a 6-string and a 7-string version being created by
David Thomas McNaught. It's basically an offset double cutaway guitar
with 27 frets. There will be a few different variables of the guitar
meaning that the options can range from exotic woods to standard
finishes. Original equipment will be a FloydUpgrades tremolo,
Tremol-No stabilization systems, an EMG SPC control
 and 
Seymour Duncan
pickups. There are other options available that will be posted on
www.mcnaughtguitars.com








 Where can people go to see updates from you? Do you have a twitter,
facebook?..





 Being from the City of Champions , like myself,are you a Steelers or
Pens fan?
I do like the Steelers - but I am Red Wings hockey fan. For what it's
worth, the Pens are my second-favorite hockey team.




 I personally would love to learn to play the guitar,but it seems
like
a bit of a daunting task, any words of advice for those of us just
starting out? Or to the  ones hoping to be as successful as
you one day?

Well, the idea is practice what SOUNDS good to you and develop from
there. Also, take advantage of the great tools that are out there like
social media
 and the internet. Definitely invest in some decent
recording gear
 and experiment with that and above all, don't have a
crappy attitude - there's enough of that out there. Make a change in
the way people perceive being a musician
 and 
do something
extraordinary.




 Anything to say to the readers and your fans?
Keep requesting the tunes and thank you all for the support that you
all have given me. 


Thanks so much for your time
 and patience,Xander. 
Thank you as well!




And the Beat Goes On.....
Email: thebeatgoeson17@gmail.com
Twitter: @TheBeatGoesOn1
Youtube: TheBeatGoesOn17

No comments:

Post a Comment