Friday, September 20, 2013

Behind the Music with Corey Craigmyle


As we all know a good song has a great melody, but a great song has great melody and even better lyrics and no one knows that more than songwriter, Corey Craigmyle.












This lyricist and I discussed everything from him major influences to his song writing process. [Another installment in the "Lost In The Server" Series] [6/19/12]






 Corey, you've done a lot of songs with different people, how does that usually come about? How do you collaborate? 


Collaborating can start from anywhere. It could be an artist that gets in touch with me directly and asks me to write a song for them. Sometimes, I’ll scope YouTube for up and coming artists that I would like to work with. Other times, I’ll meet artists at shows or performances in Montreal (where I live) and I’ll ask them if they’re looking to collaborate. As a songwriter, you really have to put yourself out there. Sometimes it’s musicians I’ve worked with or performed with too. I consider myself very lucky to have worked with so many talented artists that I admire!


How long have you been writing songs?


I’ve been writing songs my whole life! I started out as drummer though. I began playing the drums at a young age. I kind of got into songwriting by accident. I was playing drums in this jazz combo at school and we needed 1 more song for our concert. So I decided to compose my own rock/pop song and surprise the band. I showed it to them the next day and they all really liked what I wrote! The next thing I know, we’re performing my song in front of the entire music department. It was a blast!


 What is your process when it comes to writing?


The way I write is kind of untraditional. I don’t believe in writing things down because my brain works much faster than I’m able to write things out and it frustrates me. So I usually go behind the piano and make up the first thing that comes to mind because it gives you the right instinct. Then from there, I go back and edit it and might change a word or two just so I get to exactly what I want to hear. That’s basically my process.


  Is there one song that you wish you wrote?


One song that always gives me the chills is “Hold My Hand” by Michael Jackson. There’s something special about that song.


  I know this is a tough question, but out of all the songs, that you've written, is there one that you're the most proud of?


I’m really proud of some of the songs I’ve written for Tina Ray. She’s an up and coming R&B singer from Vancouver. Last year I wrote this song for her called “On My Own”. Everything came together perfectly with that song. She did an amazing job recording the vocals too. I’ve written 3 more songs for her.


 Who are your biggest influences?


I would say my biggest influences are Michael Jackson, Claude Kelly and Lady Gaga.


 How do you feel about poetry?


I love poetry.







 Do you ever think about stepping out from 'behind the scenes' and branching out into other aspects of music?


One aspect of music I would love to check out is jingle writing. I love jingles! I would do jingles in a heartbeat, a 15 second little tune off the top of your head like the Juicy Fruit song. "Get your skis shined up, grab a stick of Juicy Fruit the taste is gonna move you! Move you up! Move you out! The taste is gonna move you when you pop it in your mouth!" Then to the hook: "Juicy Fruit is gonna move ya! It's got a taste that gets right through ya!" I think that’s so cool because everybody knows that song, more than some of the songs that we love.


 What do you have to say to people reading this, that want to work with you?


I would say check out my music first! Then if you like what you hear, drop me a line! You can message me on YouTube or you can tweet me @coreycraigmyle


 How do you feel about YouTube's role in the music business now?


I love YouTube! The internet is a great way to get your music out there!


 Anything to say to the readers and your supporters?


Music is love. Love is music. Music is my life and I love my life. Thank you and goodnight.




--------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you so much Corey!
Be sure to follow and subscribe to keep up with Corey!

@CoreyCraigmyle


And The Beat Goes On.....
Stay Tuned for more Interviews and News
Contact Email: TheBeatGoesOn17@gmail.com
Twitter: TheBeatGoesOn1
Facebook: TheBeatGoeson1Promotions






No comments:

Post a Comment