Sunday, October 13, 2013

Meet The Man Behind 'The Voice'









From youtube to national television J'sun 's tackling the media one performance at a time.



Now just in case you missed J'sun on the Voice here's a snippet of an amazing (and unfortunately his last ) performance of  The Heavy's 'How you Like Me Now' with Garrett Gardner.



J'sun was eliminated in the BattleRound and Garret moved on to be in the Top 12.

But J'sun here to say he's moving on as well.   He's also telling us, how he went from uploading videos to youtube,  to being a contestant on one of the biggest televised singing competitions  in the world. His new EP, and what it was really like on The Voice.








 Every artist has a story, so let’s start at the beginning of yours… What type of music did you grow up listening to?

A:   I was born in Brooklyn, NY but grew up in St Vincent and the Grenadines. Our music is Soca and Reggae but I also listened to a lot of Whitney Houston, Michael Jackson, and TLC. Once I moved back to NYC that's when I started picking up on all of the other artists such as Janet Jackson, Brandy, Luther Vandross, Maxwell, and many of the other popular artists out at the time.




      What musicians and performers inspire you?

A: I am inspired by many different artists in many different genres. Michael Jackson, Janet Jackson, Maxwell, Prince, OneRepublic, and recent artists such as Adele, Emeli Sandè, Frank Ocean, Rihanna, and many more artists that are out right now.


 
 
 
We all want to know more about the man behind the voice so to speak,  tell us one thing  that no one knows about you?

A: There are so many facets to J’Sun.   I sing, write, play, dance, design but one other thing I'm really good at is cooking.  I throws it down in the kitchen.


 
 
 
The smoothness of your voice has been noted by many, did you ever take vocal lessons?

A: When I moved back to the US I joined the Brooklyn Youth Chorus right away.  That's where I learned a lot of what I know about singing, music, how to be better at my craft.




What’s one embarrassing song that you have in your playlist?

A: It would have to be a soca song  I recorded myself.  Only my family is allowed to listen to that song. It's the silliest song you'll ever hear.  I'm 100% sure no one else will hear it. It's locked away in the vault forever.




If you could perform with anyone in the world, living or dead, who would it be?

A: It hasn't changed that I would love to perform with Prince. When he performs it's just crazy and out of this world. It's like something takes him over and it takes me over when I see him perform. That would be amazing for me. That would top everything I have ever done in my life.




You started uploading  videos to youtube in 2007, and things just sort of grew from there.  How do you personally think social media, or the internet in general, has changed the music industry?


A: I think social media has changed the music industry a great deal. Artists get to be closer to their fans. I do feel at times though that too many artists are being social media reality stars instead of focusing on their careers and their art and music. For artists, social media can be a good thing and it can be a very bad thing depending on how it's used.



I know it’s probably been done to death, but can you tell us a little bit about your experience on the Voice? What’s one thing you took away from it all?

A: The Voice was great. I had an amazing time and met a lot of great people there. Working with Shakira has been great and just being up all night in front of the camera was exciting for me because I felt I was living out my dreams. It's something that I will always remember and I will always cherish that time in my life.



You always seemed so at ease when you sang, did you ever get nervous? Do you ever?

A: I always do. Every time. I always feel like if I am not nervous then I should be nervous about that. I feel no matter how great someone is at what they do, there's always a nervous feeling. Not a bad one though. A good nervous feeling.



Would you ever consider being a part of another televised competition again?

A: Before I did The Voice I always said "I would never do one of those shows". But as an artist I always change my mind about things and see a different side to things after a while. I looked at the show for what it was and knew that anything was possible with these shows. I gave it my all and I left everything on that stage. I don't think I would do another one again though.





After competing on television,  and taking the youtube world by storm, you've been busy  building “MAZE” your debut EP. Can you tell us a little bit about the process and your kickstarter campaign?

A: "MAZE" is being carefully created. I'm doing a lot of writing sessions with the people involved in the project.  Brainstorming with many musicians, artists, designers, and producers to make it a really great EP. My Kickstarter campaign is to help fund the building of my EP. It has been going very great and I'm so excited to start the recording of the EP, the photoshoots, videos, and everything else around it. My Kickstarter project ends on September 29th at 11:59pm and my goal is in arms reach. I'm very close. (Note: Congratulations J'sun who has since reached his goal and has raised enough money! )



I know you can’t give too much away, but you can give us any clues of what the vibe of your EP might be?

A: "MAZE" is going to be great. I fell it will show who I am as an arist. You'll be able to sing along to every song and feel good doing it.



Anything to say to the readers, and fans? Both old and new?

A: Thank you so so much to my #Limerz . Everything that I have achieved from 2007 on wouldn't have been possible without them. They mean a lot to me and I love them all.





To stay connected to J'sun and stay up to date on his album. Follow him on twitter: @iLoveJSun

Become a fan on facebook : https://www.facebook.com/iLoveJSun


And subscribe to his youtube.  http://www.youtube.com/user/MynameisJsun





-And The Beat Goes On....


Stay tuned for news and interviews, and productions!

Contact Email: TheBeatGoeson17@gmail.com

 Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheBeatGoeson1Promotions

Twitter: @TheBeatGoeson1

No comments:

Post a Comment