Monday, June 11, 2012

Interview with Oscar Mendez





Today I interviewed Oscar Mendez a musician on the rise, the  Columbian born guitarist , proves that the universal power of music can transend any language barrier.

First off , thanks for agreeing to this Oscar.

- Thank you for dedicating this space for my production 'Lone Spirit'




Let's get started..




 Oscar, you have such a unique sound, How would you describe your music? ( ¿Cómo describirías tu música? )



R: Thanks., ok i think that it's important for a musician, like a guitarist, in my case, to experiment different ways in the execution of guitar and finally find my sound ,my music is very calm, relaxing and spiritual, To clarify, Spiritual is not equal to religion ok? Haha , people think that it's similar.




R: Gracias por tus palabras, bueno yo creo que lo mas importante es definir el camino que tu quieras seguir como guitarrista, en mi caso experimenté muchos caminos en la ejecución de la guitarra para así finalmente lograr el sonido que quería, mi música la defino como algo muy agradable a los oidos, es calmada,relajante, y espiritual. Aclaración! Espiritual no es lo mismo que ser religioso bueno? Jaja la gente tiende a confundir estas dos cosas








  What got you interested in music?
(¿Cómo se interesó en la música? ) 

 R: Well, I've always had artistic skills, for example when I was a child I liked to draw comics and liked the piano and saxophone, after some time bought my first acoustic guitar and learned my first steps with a guitar teacher, later create a band with my friends, and these experienced are reflected in my composition now.



R: Bueno, a lo largo de mi vida siempre tube motivacion por el ámbito artistico, por ejemplo cuando era pequeño me encantaba dibujar comics y me gustaba el sonido del piano y saxofón, con el tiempo compre mi primera guitarra acústica y aprendi mis primeros pasos en la guitarra, despues formé una banda con mis amigos de toda la vida, y hoy en día pienso que esa formación se ve reflejada en mi trabajo personal.






Who inspires you?  (  ¿Quién te inspira?)

This question is very extensive because the inspiration for me is very varied, today I listen to many metal pieces and jazz music, but five years ago I only heard instrumental music and classic rock, ok but to follow the question my inspiration is Tommy Emmanuel because is a musician very [instructed] in all senses.  

R: Esta pregunta es muy extensa debido al proceso que he llevado, hoy en dia escucho metal y jazz, pero hace cinco años atrás solo me encerraba en la musica instrumental y el rock clásico. Ok pero sin desviarme de la pregunta mi inspiracíon es Tommy Emanuel por que es un músico muy completo en todo sentido.





4) Can you explain what 'Lone Spirt is?
R: Ok, It's the name of my first album , the album consist in all things when you think when your are alone, like good situations in your life , memories, like your personal problems, it's [because] of this that I explained that it is very Spiritual , in a few words it's rediscovering myself through my music.
R: Bueno, es el nombre de mi primer trabajo, el álbum consiste en todas las cosas que tu piensas cuando te encuentras solo, como las buenas situaciones que se te presentan en la vida, los recuerdos, tus problemas personales, como explicaba anteriormente es un álbum espiritual, en pocas palabras es reencontrarse con uno mismo a traves de mi música o mi trabajo.



What is your favorite song you've written and why?
R: My favorite song is the second track, it´s called Lone spirit. Its important to me because was the first song composed, and when I showed this song to my friends or other people, the response was very good and motivated me. Also this song was composed when I have serious problems with the alcohol Haha, just a kidding.
R:
Mi canción favorita esta en el segundo track, se llama Lone spirit. Ademas de que lleva el nombre de mi álbum es importante porque fue la primera canción que compuse, posteriormente cuando mostré esta canción a la gente le gustó y eso me motivo bastante. También fue compuesta cuando tenia serios problemas con el alcohol jaja molestando.



  What do you think about Youtube, and the Internet and how musicians are using it?
R: I think that is a very important source to show own material, lots of musicians are very popular with this sites for example Andy Mckee, Antoine Dufour, hmmm many talented musicians.
R: Pienso que es una fuente muy importante para mostrar nuestro trabajo, muchos músicos han logrado salir adelante por estos sitios, como Andy Mckee y Antoine dufour por nombrar algunos. Hummm muchos músicos talentosos.



 You're from Columbia, and Spanish is your first language, but you're clearly getting a following in America, how do you think that will play a part in things once your career takes off?  (
¿Eres de Columbia, y el español es su lengua materna, pero que está claramente conseguir un siguiente en Estados Unidos, ¿cómo crees que va a desempeñar un papel importante en las cosas una vez que su carrera despega? )

R: This question is very interesting, i think that if my career take off i will really happy because in this moment you found a musician in many places know? But I hope that many people listen my work because was released with much sacrifice and passion, if my career take off I hope [to go on] many many tours for the world.




R: Esta pregunta es muy interesante, pienso que si mi carrera despega seria muy feliz como cualquiera, porque en este momento encontramos un musico en cualquier lado sabes? Pero espero que mucha gente se interese por escuchar mi trabajo ya que fue realisado con muy esfuerzo y pasión ademas es de muy buena calidad, vuelvo y digo… espero que si mi carrera despega la idea es realizar tours por todo el mundo.





  Can you tell us a little about your album?
(  ¿Puedes contarnos un poco sobre tu álbum? )




R: Ok, my first album was a very good experience to me in all senses, first I learn many things about my other career (sound engineer). This album was recorded in a good studio called Audio-enlace with Andrés Dias and the supervision of Alejandro Oviedo and mastered in C1 mastering with Carlos Silva, both are a prestigious studios in Bogotá, Colombia. My pre-production was realeased with a very good sound engineer Julio Avellaneda, and me in the production with Andrés Quitian. Finally the design was created for German Rojas , he is very talented illustrator with creative ideas. It was a very good team.







R: Bueno, mi primer álbum fue una muy buena experiencia en todo sentido, primero reforcé muchas cosas sobre mi otra carrera (ingenieria de sonido), este álbum fue grabado en un estudio muy bueno llamado Audio- enlace con Andrés Dias bajo la supervision de Alejandro Oviedo, posteriormente masterizado en C1 mastering con Carlos Silva. Ambos son estudios muy buenos en Bogotá, Colombia. Mi Pre-producción fue realisada con un gran ingeniero de sonido mi amigo Julio Avellaneda, la produccion y composicion de la parte musical fue mia con mi amigo Andrés Quitián. Finalmente el diseño fue creado por German Rojas, un ilustrador muy talentoso con ideas muy creativas. Fue un equipo de trabajo muy bueno.


 Anything to say to your supporters/ subscribers?




R: Sure. First thank you very much for my subscriber in Youtube, Facebook, personal friends and more, for this motivation to follow my objectives. Without you can´t realeased my cd . you are my source of motivate in a few words. Specially in regards to my friends. And specially thanks to Alyssa and TheBeatGoesOn  for this interview.


Be sure to check out Oscar's music :




Thank you to Oscar, and to everybody reading, stay tuned!
 -And the Beat Goes On...


thebeatgoeson17@gmail.com
www.facebook.com/thebeatgoeson1
www.youtube.com/user/Thebeatgoeson17
www.twitter.com/thebeatgoeson1



2 comments: